Ebike is a modern and promising mode of transportation that have all the features of an ordinary ebike combined with extraordinary feature of motor that allows a user to have faster and comfortable ride. The main components of an ebike are motor and the battery. Here is a comprehensive guide for understanding the basic terminology of electric bike that can help you while buying an ebike.
Electric Motor-related terms
• Hub motor: Hub motor is enclosed inside an enlarged hub and is directly installed into front or rear wheel.
• Geared motor: The torque is generated by using gears.
• DC motor: Type of motor that uses direct current.
• Brush type DC motor: Motor has brushes for creating a wear point. Less expensive
• Brushless DC motor: Simpler and long lasting than brush motor. Lacks wear point other than bearing. Quieter than brush motor.
• Motor Watts: Watt is the unit of power. Higher the watts more powerful will be the motor.
• Motor controller– is an electronic circuit for controlling the speed of a motor. Functions of motor controller is according to the model of an ebike
Battery related terms
• Battery Volts: Volt is the ability of an electric bike to provide power to the motor for generating torque.
• Battery amps: Amp stands for ampere and is the unit of electric current. For the ebike, it is used to describe battery capacity i.e. how long it will last.
• Auxiliary battery– An additional battery for providing extra current to an ebike.
• BMS– stands for battery management system which is an electronic circuit found in some advanced and expensive models of an electric bike.
• Lead acetate batteries– old technology but less expensive batteries. Long lasting and excellent rechargeable capabilities.
• Lithium batteries– Latest, light weight, and high performance batteries butfire prone. Different types of lithium batteries are lithium ion batteries, lithium polymer, lithium iron phosphate, etc.
• C-rate– is a unit of measurement for measuring the amount of current that a battery can provide. 1C rate means a battery can discharge complete in one hour.
Other Ebike related terms
• Pedal Assisted Ebike– Functions according the force applied on the pedal. Bikes with pedal assisted technology comes with various speed level and generate the power according to your desire. These types of bike require a user to pedal a few strokes for activating motor power.
• Throttle– A device installed in electric bike for controlling speed. Available in various stylesincluding twist grip, switch control, them operated, etc.
• Throttle assisted Ebike: These bikes provide the power only when throttle is twisted. Pedal assistance gets disable in this mode.
• Speed Sensor– A device for detecting rate of pedaling.
• Torque sensor– A device for detecting and measuring the energy applied by pedaling. It is required by pedal assisted electric bikes.
• DIY kit– Customized kit for converting ordinarybicycles into electric bikes.
• EPAC– Stands for electric pedal assisted cycle.
• Vehicle controller– is an electronic circuit that monitors and regulates the user interference, battery management system, motor controller, and some other features.